International Undergraduate Admissions Requirements
An international student is a student on a J-1 or F-1 visa who is not a citizen of, or a permanent resident of, or a refugee in the United States of America.
- Freshmen must have a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) (a "C+" or better where "A"=4.00) from a secondary school.
- Transfer students must have a minimum 2.00 GPA (a "C+" or better where "A"=4.00) from a college or university.
- Some CSU programs may have higher admission requirements and may require a minimum ACT or SAT score.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:
- Minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Minimum overall band of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) Score of 90.
- ACT score of 17 for Math and English
- SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading
Exceptions to the English (TOEFL/IELTS) Requirement:
- Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with ACT score of 17 for Math and English or SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading.
- Applicants who have attended a U.S. College and have taken ENG1101 and 1102 with a passing grade of C or better.
- Applicants holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.
Columbus State University offers conditional admission to qualified applicants if the academic requirements for admission have been met, but there is insufficient English proficiency. To be eligible for Conditional admission, applicants must meet one of the following:
Conditionally admitted students will be required to take certain courses in the English Language Institute (ELI) and successfully meet minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements before taking other courses at Columbus State University. A student may remain on conditional admission status for no more than three semesters.
Students who have graduated from a non-US accredited high school must provide a document by document professional evaluation of their high school transcript by a NACES evaluator or Lisano International and must include a GPA calculation. We recommend using Josef Silney or World Education Services. Students who have attended a non-US accredited college must also provide a course by course evaluation of all college credits and must include a GPA calculation. Please contact the evaluator directly to see what they require to perform your evaluation. We must have an original document provided directly by the evaluation service sent to Columbus State. The student must also provide transcripts from any U.S. College attended.
Students with no college hours must have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Students with college transfer hours must have a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students must be eligible to return to the institution last attended.
A completed financial guarantee form (PDF) must be completed and supplemented with an original bank statement or letter stating the required amount is available. If the student has a sponsor the sponsor must provide a letter stating what expenses they are covering and must provide the required guarantee form and bank document. Bank documents must be original and be mailed to the university.
All students must turn in a completed immunization form (PDF) before registration for classes.