International Transfer Students
General Admission Requirements
An international student is a student on a J-1 or F-1 visa who is not a citizen of, or a permanent resident of, or a refugee in the United States of America.
- Transfer students must have a minimum 2.00 GPA (a "C+" or better where "A"=4.00) from a college or university.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:
- Minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Minimum overall band of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) Score of 90.
- ACT score of 17 for Math and English
- SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading
Exceptions to the English (TOEFL/IELTS) Requirement
- Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with ACT score of 17 for Math and English or SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading
- Applicants who have attended a U.S. College and have taken ENG1101 and 1102 with a passing grade of C or better.
- Applicants holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.
Columbus State University offers conditional admission to qualified applicants if the academic requirements for admission have been met, but there is insufficient English proficiency. To be eligible for Conditional admission, applicants must meet one of the following:
Conditionally admitted students will be required to take certain courses in the English Language Institute (ELI) (hyper link to ELI) and successfully meet minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements before taking other courses at Columbus State University. A student may remain on conditional admission status for no more than three semesters.
Provide a professional evaluation of your foreign college credits. This evaluation must be completed by a NACES evaluator or Lisano International. We recommend using Josef Silney or World Education Services. College transcripts must be evaluated course by course. Please contact the evaluator directly to see what they require to perform your evaluation. We must have an original document provided directly by the evaluation service sent to Columbus State. The student must also provide transcripts from any U.S. College attended.
All students must turn in a completed immunization form before registration for classes