International Graduate Degrees
Pursuing a graduate degree at Columbus State University can be one of the most rewarding and career-enhancing decisions of your life. Graduate study requires high academic achievement, but the rewards are long-lasting. Columbus State can help you reach your goals with experienced faculty, real-life applications, experiential learning and the personalized attention you will need.
Admission to Graduate Programs differs from undergraduate admission as admission decisions at the graduate level are made by the individual academic departments and requirements vary by program. Please plan accordingly. Find your degree page on the graduate school site for more information about the admission to your particular program. You may also reference the graduate degree section of our catalog as it is the final authority on requirements for specific programs.
General Admission Requirements:
An international student is a student on a J-1 or F-1 visa who is not a citizen of, or a permanent resident of, or a refugee in the United States of America.
- A baccalaureate degree from a college or university accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations.
- Application + $50 non-refundable application fee
- Certificate of Immunization
- Transcript Evaluation each college and university attended
- Test scores from the GRE, GMAT, MAT or other standardized test as required by the individual degree program.
Provide a professional evaluation of your foreign college credits. This evaluation must be completed by a NACES evaluator or Lisano International. We recommend using Josef Silney or World Education Services. College transcripts need to be evaluated course by course and must include a GPA calculation. Please contact the evaluator directly to see what they require to perform your evaluation. We must have an original document provided directly by the evaluation service sent to Columbus State. Transcripts from any U.S. College attended must also be provided.
A completed financial guarantee form (PDF) must be completed and supplemented with an original bank statement or letter stating the required amount is available. If the student has a sponsor the sponsor must provide a letter stating what expenses they are covering and must provide the required guarantee form and bank document. Bank documents must be original and be mailed to the university.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose native language is not English (identified by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Public Affairs) must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by meeting one of the following:
- Minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 79 (internet-based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Minimum overall band of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP) Score of 90.
- ACT score of 17 for Math and English
- SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading
Exceptions to the English (TOEFL/IELTS) Requirement:
- Applicants who have completed their junior and senior years in a U.S. high school with ACT score of 17 for Math and English or SAT score of 410 Math and 440 Critical Reading.
- Applicants who have attended a U.S. College and have taken ENG1101 and 1102 with a passing grade of C or better.
- Applicants holding a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- Applicants who have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.
Columbus State University offers conditional admission to qualified applicants if the academic requirements for admission have been met, but there is insufficient English proficiency. To be eligible for Conditional admission, applicants must meet one of the following:
Conditionally admitted students will be required to take certain courses in the English Language Institute (ELI) and successfully meet minimum TOEFL or IELTS requirements before taking other courses at Columbus State University. A student may remain on conditional admission status for no more than three semesters.
All students must turn in a completed immunization form (PDF) before registration for classes